Monday, December 28, 2009

So where are you from?

This could qualify as one of the most cliche conversation starters. "So where are you from?". What suddenly you'll know everything about me once you know where I am from? So if I say I am from Punjab do people form a mental picture of me drinking Lassi and eating Paranthas with white butter (Well people will get that from my tiny paunch anyways which I intend to get rid of soon enough). Well I am usually not so judgmental about people its just that I like avoiding this question. Till a year ago my typical response would be "I am studying in Delhi but my Dad is posted in Guwahati though I have lived most of my life in Mumbai although we are originally from Punjab." Who in his right mind would expect an answer like that? Its as if I have give him a multiple choice answer from which he can chose whichever place he likes(personally I would go for Mumbai- Heard they are opening India's first Starbucks here in 2010). Thats right. I like to be called as a guy whose from Mumbai. Not that is changes who I am but because I have spent some of my most significant years here. My friends anyway deny that I could possibly or remotely be related to Punjab in anyway. Why is that hard to imagine? I have dreams of going to abroad too. And believe me I am closest to being related to Punjab now more than ever ;) So now that I have this thing cleared "Where are you from?"

2 comments:

  1. really Starbucks is starting in Mumbai... ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah..heard it from a really good friend of mine who loves Mumbai...She keeps updating me of new places...21 Fahrenheit, Starbucks etc... :p

    ReplyDelete