Sunday, December 27, 2009

Why 'The Best Ox' ?

The Best Ox? What kind of a title is that? Especially for a blog. Well it is the literal translation of my name 'Gautam' (I hope you know my name). People keep asking me what my name means. I would say well it was the name of Gautam Buddha(Most Gautams will tell you that). But then I wondered what did Gautam Buddha say when his friends or work colleagues asked him the same question? Obviously a name must have a meaning. You'll be surprised every English name also have meanings i.e. names like John and David etc.Even the surname Chau in Vietnamese means 'Pearls'. I searched the internet (where else?) for what my name meant. Believe me it wasn't easy. But I finally found it. It so happens that when you finally get to know the meaning of things, you wonder 'Why didn't I think of it?' Gautam comes from the words 'Gau' meaning 'Ox' and 'Uttam' meaning 'the best'. Yes. 'Gau' means 'Ox'. That is what was written on the website. But my friends have conveniently replaced 'Ox' with 'Cow' - the literal translation in Hindi. Now you can't do that. You can't change whats been there for a thousand years (Where did I hear this? The movie 'Wanted' I think.The one with Angelina Jolie and not Salman Khan). My friends now joke around with me being "two horny". How cheap can you get? and lame too? Anyways so when this blogger website asked me to put a title to my blog I obviously tried Gautam first (Ya I know this is more lame). When that didn't work I thought lets put the meaning there since I am mostly going to put my thoughts in words. So Welcome to my blog 'The Best Ox'.

8 comments:

  1. jahapana aapko salaaam ..
    moooo....... ;)
    ab gau bhi bloggin !!!
    i wonder y ppl change aftr they r committed ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well people keep saying I talk a lot these days. Actually it was Aki who said it. Can you believe it? So I just thought why not save this world some noise pollution and write. We anyways have Tushar for all the noise pollution. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My god... Dont u know, u actually do TALK a lot now? Dude u give me competition theese days! well now someone else shall reap the benefits :p about the bog mr.ox.. i shal wait for more to give my vishesh tippani :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. GG boss,
    Initially wen i heard about ur plan off blogging wen we were going to moti mahal...U dint sound "this" serious man....
    tune toh likhna hi shuru kar diya..
    sahi hai..
    N yah....
    wo pumba n Cow pic....
    spl recomendation hai re...
    put it up here plz..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude that picture negates my theory..I mean what has been there for a thousand years...You want me to start my blog with a lie? Preposterous...

    ReplyDelete
  6. why would you search for the meaning of CHAU...care to clarify...you risk earning the grudges of some people (read sumat) :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. On contrary I told him this so that he could convey it to his overseas girlfriend (who wasn't aware of the meaning by the way) so that he could earn some points. He did it immediately. I only speak the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. gg talks a lot !... his phone bill says it all

    ReplyDelete